Creating a course:



Bulk adding users from CSV:



Enrolling,adding topics and adding resources



Setting up and attempting a quiz:


Adding BLC Module:



Self Enrolling as a Student:



Accessing Logs for a Course : 



  Viewing reports for SCORM Packages:


Copyright compliance:

Keeping your VLE material copyright compliant


What type of material can I load onto the Virtual Learning Environment?

Before making extracts available to students check either:


  • You or the college own the copyright


  • The material is out of copyright


  • The copies you make are for the purpose of exams or assessments which contribute to the final course mark


  • You have the permission of the copyright holder


Where can I get more advice on copyright questions?

We suggest you go to the Eduserv Copyright toolkit to help you understand copyright issues and how it works. JISC Legal and JISC Intellectual Property FAQs also give more information.


Is it okay to put links to electronic sources like ebooks on my documents on the VLE?

You can link directly to ebooks where our licences permit. You will need to make it clear that the material is not owned by the college by giving the full reference:


We advise you to open up the book in a new window.


Can the Copyright Licence Agency’s licence for Further Education help me with putting photocopies and scanned material onto the VLE?

Our current licence allows you to make/scan copies from UK publishers and then place them on a VLE. You will need to make it obvious the source of the material eg Author, Title, publisher, date of publication and ISBN/ISSN. Remember to stick to one chapter of a book or one article from a magazine or a maximum of 5% of the publication. It is possible to add digital copies into presentation software eg PowerPoint. There are a number of publishers in the United Kingdom and United States who exclude their work from this. You can find a list of these on the CLA website.


Would it be possible to scan newspaper articles and then place links to these on the VLE too?

Our Newspaper Licensing Agency licence allows you to do this for the UK national newspapers and any 10 from the regional listing only. This does exclude News International titles and the Financial Times from 1 July 2010. The Newspaper Licensing Agency says this may change in the future.



Can I put links in my VLE course to freely available websites?

Yes by following our advice. We suggest you get the websites to open up in a new window so that it does not appear you are making a website look like one you have produced yourself. We recommend you link to the organisation’s home page and give students directs to where you want them to look for the information. This avoids deep linking and keeps you copyright compliant. Then make it obvious that the link is to an external website to Hillcroft College. Put in a disclaimer about the content of the website. It is worth remembering copyright law covers the content, logos and design of a website.


Is it possible to add images to the VLE?

If you find an image by using a commercial search engine it will be covered by copyright and you will need to get permission from the rights holder to use it on your pages. Copyrighted images may or may not have a copyright symbol or notice on them. Even if an image does not have a symbol or notice it does not mean it is copyright free. If you are in any doubt we recommend you ask the creator or publisher of the image/website for permission to use it.


Are there any copyright free image collections that I can use and where I can get advice on using images for education purposes?

We recommend you look at the Jisc Digital Media site. This includes advice and technical documents with up-to-date information. Their pages will help you with still images, moving images, audio material, cross media material and use of digital material on Virtual Learning Environments. We also suggest you look at the Overview of Jisc Digital Materials for those using Digital Media in Teaching and Research. Images for education also provide still and moving images in history, science, geography, technology, industry and social science.


You can use Flickr Advanced Search and limit to ‘Creative Commons’ to get cleared images and the Victoria & Albert Museum has works and images which are free for educational use. Visual Arts Data Service (VADS) also holds images which are free and copyright cleared for use in teaching and learning. Free Images also offer images for non-commercial use as does Pics4learningImage AfterLearning and Teaching Scotland and East of England Broadband Network.


What is Creative Commons and how can I get images with one of these licences?

Creative Commons allows web authors, scientists, authors and lecturers to have different licences for their work. You can then use this material depending on the licence use the creators have granted. To find the material go the Creative Commons home page, click on Find then choose a search engine like Yahoo or Flickr and enter your search words.


Is there any training you can recommend to help me searching for images?

JISC Digital Media and Intute have created a training tutorial with Intute to take you step-by-step through the process of finding images and keeping within copyright. You can access the tutorial Internet for Image Searching.


I want to add sound onto my material. Can you recommend some copyright free sites for that?

There are a number of sites which offer this to you. FreeSFX provides sound effects whereas Partners in Rhyme offers sound effects and music. You can also find audio material on Internet Archive.